Thursday, April 5, 2007

Global Warming Effect: Hybrids

Which of you Judas's is willing to walk the walk? Sure you liberals talk a good game. You vote pro-choice. You speak negatively about George W. Bush. You dislike Arnold Schwarzenegger half the time. So what kind of car do you drive? Just as I suspected, something that's not hybrid or environmentally friendly. I bet some of you fiends actually drive a SUV (just so you know you're going to hell for that.) Well soon I may "walk the walk" and buy a hybrid.

As I look into buying a new vehicle, and I feel compelled to check what hybrid car I might be interested in. Being the good citizen that I am, I want to do my part to make this world a better place. Getting rid of my older truck for a newer, more fuel efficient vehicle seems like the right thing to do. Unfortunately, fuel efficient cars are pretty awful looking, but luckily they have made hybrids that are more appeasing to the eye.

Nissan and Toyota both have hybrids that fall within the price range I was hoping for. The ’07 Nissan Altima or the ’07 Toyota Camry are both vehicles I’ve looked into. I may be siding with the Nissan considering the truck I’ve had is a ’97 Nissan and has given me few problems.

One perk I was hoping to get for my being a good citizen was to drive in the carpool lane with no passengers by applying a few bright hideous yellow stickers to the bumper of my soon to be new hybrid vehicle.








I remembered hearing how all the attractive stickers that the state of California set aside for hybrid owners to drive in the carpool lane had been disbursed. To my dismay, when I visited the State of California site in bright red it stated: "The 85,000 Clean Air Vehicle Stickers (yellow) that VC §5205.5 allows for hybrid vehicles have been assigned. Original Clean Air Stickers will no longer be issued to hybrids...". So there went that perk.

I did some more research, and found that not only are the stickers to drive in the carpool already disbursed, but that even if there were some available, the two vehicles I am interested in didn’t qualify anyway, as they do not meet the state standard of getting 45 miles per gallon. No carpool lane? The decent looking hybrids don't meet state requirements even if more yellow stickers are doled out? Maybe I should just get a gas guzzling SUV.

1 comment:

Ren said...

temporary solution until we really don't use awful oil any more which hybrids are only meh at: motorcycle
50+ mpg, easy, if not 60, 70
uses less materials to build
creates less wear on roads
lane sharing beats carpool lane any day (but legal to use carpool lane, too)
not to mention cheaper to buy, insure, and maintain