Monday, January 22, 2007

I still can't believe it.

They are back. They being a band that have had a prolific impact on my life - RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE. They will be performing live again, and there is no doubt, I will be there.

Here's a link to the breaking news: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070122/music_nm/rage_dc_1

Also, here is a link to see some great footage of this band live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n7jjcnrfYM
It's a cover song they did of Cypress Hill's "How I Could Just Kill a Man". They get introduced to the crowd by the guitarist's (Tom Morello) mother. (Rage guitarist Tom Morello is a Harvard graduate by the way).

More on their impact on me to come, but for now, here are some lyrics from a few of the bands' songs. Believe me when I say this, NO ONE wrote lyrics/music like RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE...no one. So please read, enjoy, and ponder.


from the song "Bulls on Parade"
Weapons not food, not homes, not shoes
Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal
I walk the corner to the rubble that used to be a library
Line up to the mind cemetery now
What we don't know keeps the contracts alive an movin'
They don't gotta burn the books they just remove 'em
While arms warehouses fill as quick as the cells
Rally round the family, pockets full of shells


from "Sleep Now in the Fire"
The lie is my expense
The scope of my desire
The Party blessed me with its future
And I protect it with fire
I am the Nina, The Pinta, The Santa Maria
The noose and the rapist
And the fields overseer
The agents of orange
The priests of Hiroshima
The cost of my desire
Sleep now in the fire


from "Know Your Enemy"
Word is born
Fight the war, fuck the norm
Now I got no patience
So sick of complacence
With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E
Mind of a revolutionary
So clear the lane
The finger to the land of the chains
What? The land of the free?
Whoever told you that is your enemy
Now something must be done
About vengeance, a badge and a gun
'Cause I'll rip the mic, rip the stage, rip the system
I was born to rage against 'em
Now action must be taken
We don't need the key
We'll break in

Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American dreams


from "Guerrilla Radio"
As the polls close like a casket
On truth devoured
A silent play on the shadow of power
A spectacle monopolized
The camera's eye on choice disguised
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
A spectacle monopolized
They hold the reins and stole your eyes
The fistagons, bullets and bombs
Who stuff the banks?
Who staff the party ranks?
More for Gore or the son of a drug lord
None of the above, fuck it cut the cord
Lights out, guerrilla radio
Turn that shit up


from "March of Death"
(a song by Zack de la Rocha (lead singer of Rage Against The Machine) with music by DJ Shadow)
Far from the norm
I wont follow like cattle
I'm more like a catalyst; calm in the mix of battle
Who let the cowboy on the saddle?
He don't know a missile from a gavel
This Texas Furor, for sure a, compassionless con who serve a
Lethal needle to the poor
The cure for crime is murder?
Here it comes the sound of terror from above
He flex his Texas twisted tongue
The poor lined up to kill in desert slums
For oil that boil beneath the desert sun
Now we split flame we flip this game
All the targets are taking aim
We're the targets, they're taking aim

1 comment:

Ren said...

I know. I am way excited to the point of not wanting to say anything until I get tickets.